Rice Lake Utilities

The Power of Local Ownership

Bill Assistance

Deferred Payment Arrangements

If you are a residential customer and are having trouble paying your bill on time, you may be eligible to set up a Deferred Payment Arrangement (DPA). With a DPA, your past due balance is split into equal payments to be paid in addition to your current bill each month. We require at least half of your past due balance as a down payment and may require more if you are a residential tenant. In order to keep your DPA, your payment (the deferred payment amount plus your current bill) must be posted on or before the due date each month. 

Residential tenants will not be eligible for a deferred payment arrangement if any of these four conditions apply:

To see if you are eligible for a Deferred Payment Arrangement, please contact our office at 715-234-7004 from 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. Monday through Friday or e-mail us at customerservice@ricelakeutilities.com.

Medical Condition Certification

If you have a medical emergency, you can postpone service disconnection.

Download and fill out the Medical Condition Certification form. Return the form to us by one of the following methods:

State and Local Resources

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

WHEAP assists eligible households with their heating and electric bills. It is made up of two different programs, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which is funded by the federal government, and the Public Benefits (PB) program, which is funded from fees collected through participating Wisconsin electric utilities.

Regular Benefits are available during the heating season (October 1 through May 15). They provide assistance with home energy bills and are not intended to cover the total costs of heat or electricity. Crisis Assistance is intended to allow the local WHEAP agency to respond to special situations by dealing with emergency situations or to act proactively to avoid serious problems. Prevention payments are available any time during the program year (October 1 through September 30). Crisis Assistance is a discretionary benefit to households - even if a household is eligible, they may not receive assistance.

General Information:

Apply online:

Apply by phone, by e-mail, or by mail:


Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund (KWWF)

The Keep Wisconsin Warm/Cool Fund (KWWF) is a statewide, non-profit charitable effort established in 1996 to keep the heat and power on for thousands of Wisconsinites most vulnerable in crisis. 95% of those helped by the fund are veterans, elderly, disabled, or working families with young children.

Contact Information

Heat for Heroes

The Heat and Housing for Heroes Campaign helps veterans alleviate life-threatening energy-related emergencies through the use of energy assistance grants.

Contact Information

St. Vincent de Paul

The St. St. Joseph Conference of the Society or St. Vincent de Paul provides services such as arranging for assistance with utilities and other expenses, acquiring financial assistance for other needs, helping displaced families find shelter, and more.

Contact Information

Area Churches for Emergency Outreach (ACEO)

ACEO works with the Salvation Army to provide emergency assistance such as rent, utilities, and gas money to residents of the Rice Lake area.

Contact Information

The Salvation Army of Barron County

The Salvation Army helps with emergency needs like rent, electric, or heat assistance.

Contact Information


211 Wisconsin

211 is a statewide resource that connects you with non-profit and government services in your area.

Contact Information