Rice Lake Utilities
The Power of Local Ownership
Employment Opportunity - Regular Full Time Hourly Journey or Apprentice - Lineworker
Posted April 15, 2021
Rice Lake Utilities is authorized to fill an Electric – Journeyman or Apprentice-Lineworker position.
The posting shall be advertised internally within the City of Rice Lake for ten (10) calendar days and externally until May 7, 2021 at 2:00 pm.
Minimum acceptable requirements: Successful completion of 9-month Power Distribution School. The position is under the direct supervision of the Electric Superintendent. Most work is performed outdoors. Some of the tasks that this position is responsible for are:
1. Communicate well with employees and public, making safety a priority.
2. Identify potential hazards and take appropriate steps to isolate or eliminate hazards for the public, coworkers and self.
3. Repair and replaces distribution power lines between substations and consumer, requiring use of precautionary work methods and safety equipment due to electrical hazards.
4. Opens switches or clamps grounding device to energized equipment to de-energize line or accessories as directed by Line Supervisor.
5. Climbs poles or operates bucket truck-mounted boom to remove broken or defective equipment.
6. Secures new wires to cross-arm insulators and splices wire to adjoining sections of line to complete circuit.
7. Transfers wires from defective poles to new poles (Potential Energized Lines at times).
8. Installs poles, pole hardware and such auxiliary equipment as transformers, lightning arrestors, switches, fuses and insulators, using hand tools.
9. Covers energized line with rubber goods to facilitate safe handling of high-voltage lines without interrupting service by power shutoff, and uses long insulated poles (hot sticks) fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools.
10. Work on Transformers (OH & URD) and Capacitor banks.
11. Service street light systems.
12. Patrol power lines.
13. Perform maintenance, follow switching procedures inside 12,470 / 7200 volt sub-station
14. Must understand and follow Utility Safety Manual, NESC, Wisconsin State Electrical Code and OSHA 1910.269 regulations.
It is the policy of the City to ensure equal employment opportunity for all employees and appointed representatives. This commitment includes a mandate to promote and afford equal treatment to all employees and City appointees. To assure equal employment opportunity based on ability and fitness to all persons regardless of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, age, or the present of any sensory, mental, or physical disability unless such disability effectively prevents the performance of duties required by the position and the City is unable to make a reasonable accommodation which would obviate the limitation created by the disability.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 7, 2021 at 2:00 pm to apply. Late applications will not be considered.